- How did life change for the peoples of the Soviet Union
- On the face the results were impressive. Industrial production rose by about 400% in the 1930s.
- Education and housing improved literacy increased rapidly.
- Women were given equality for the first time. By 1940, 40% of workers were women. Creches were set up in factories to allow women to work.
- The number of doctors increased and medical treatment improved.
- The new constitution that was introduced in 1936 also looked very impressive. It guaranteed democracy, equality, freedom of worship and political freedom, amongst other things.
- But it did not amount to anything in reality. The needs of the Communist Party could override all other considerations.