- How effective were the Red Guards at carrying out the Cultural Revolution?
- Mass rallies made the young people feel like they were part of the revolution.
- It was a chance for young people to get back at Cadres
- young people were allowed to attack culture and class enemies which was good for Communism.
- Millions of young people were ready to fight. I.e. carry on the revolution.
- Allowed young people to see more of China. 'revolutionary tourism'.
- Allowed Mao to boost his cult of personality.
- Sometime people only joined the Red Guards for better job opportunities.
- When religion was attacked, it caused people to lose faith with Communism
- China's culture was attacked. 1000's of years of antiques and culture was wiped out.
- People forced to make confessions to things they hadn't done.
- Millions were killed during the CV period.
- Economy was wrecked as factories ground to a halt.
Similar History resources: