- How did NEW LABOUR come about
- Labour was TRANSFORMED under the leadership of JOHN SMITH (1992-94) & TONY BLAIR (1994-2007)
- This happened in the 1990s
- Labour COMPLETELY CHANGED in its philosophy & POLICIES
- It could be argued that Labour adopted the so-called 'POST-THATCHER CONSENSUS'
- New Labour's ideas were known as the 'THIRD WAY'
- Developed by Sociologist Anthony Giddens in the early 1990s
- These policies were steered between the OLD LABOUR TRADITION (socialist) & the NEW RIGHT policies of the Tori party in the 1980s