- Created by: Kai_Overend
- Created on: 28-03-18 10:03
- How did Elizabeth exploit her gender?
- Members of Elizabeth's privy chamber were women. treated as friends but seen as a source of information. How she found out about Norfolk's plan to marry MQS. Sued by members of privy council to influence Elizabeth.
- Could be Jealous, Robert Dudley to tower when he secretly married Lettice Knolly's.
- Accepted flattery. Welcomed Faerie Queen
- Often represented as a goddess. Gloriana, purity. Judith (slaying Evil)
- Exaggerated emphasis on her beauty and court life
- from 1570s, Queen's Accession day included extravagant celebrations and jostling which gave Knights opportunity to the virgin Queen.
- Created personal bonds to her privy council and courtiers. Leicester her 'eyes' and Hatton her 'lids'.
- Personality cult built around her made the court dependant on her mood
Similar History resources: