- Time or money
- Relates to story of King Midas (means that money isn't everything)
- Every second is important
- 'Time slows, for here//we are millionaires'
- Metaphor about materialism (she is rich with love)
- 'cuckoo spit'
- The sap that comes out of grass
- No jewel can compare to love (would rather be in love that rich)
- 'chandelier', 'spotlight'
- Hour filled with light and joy
- 'Time hates love, wants love poor'
- Time doesn't allow love to last
- 'but love spins gold, gold, gold from straw
- Idea that it is everlasting
- Love can turn something poor into something wonderful. Even the poorest of people can find love e.g. even in straw
- Feelings that arise from being with a loved one
- Time is an obstacle to lovers
- Sonnet form (inspired by sonnet 116)
- By Carol Ann Duffy
Similar English Literature resources: