- Born c.460BC Died c.370BC
- The Hippocratic Oath
- Doctors have to keep high standards of treatment and behaviour and work for the benefit of the patients, not to make themselves wealthy
- Collection of books
- Contains work from Hippocrates and other doctors
- First detailed list of symptoms and treatments
- Continued to be used for many centuries.
- Observing and recording
- Showed that it is very important to observe and record symptoms and development in the disease
- Doctors more likely to choose right cure, by taking care to find the cause of the patients disease
- Notes could be used for diagnosis and treatment of future patients
- Natural Treatments
- Encouraged use of natural treatments rather than to the Gods for help.
- Keeping Healthy
- Emphasised importance of helping people stay healthy
- Hippocrates recommended a light and healthy diet
- And gentle exercise
- And rest to keep the body's humours balanced.
Similar History resources: