- Henry's strengths and weaknesses
- Henry had a large ego that was difficult to manage. He thought he was chosen by God (Divine Right of Kings)
- Henry was not expected to be king, so he had little experience of government.
- Henry had a team of experienced advisers to help him run the country e.g. Thomas Wolsey
- He loved his wife Catherine of Aragon who had important foreign connections in Spain.
- Had little desire to get involved in business of governing England.
- inherited a rich and stable country from his father.
- He was clever - spoke French, Spanish and Latin and was a great musician
- was stubborn and often refused to change his mind.
- was seen as handsome and open, unlike his dead father
- liked high risk sports and pursuits which threatened his health and the stability of the kingdom
- very devout Religious man and attended church services and gave to the poor on a daily basis
Similar History resources: