- Dark haired, dark skinned 'Gipsy'
- Loves Catherine- leaves WH after finding out she will marry Edgar
- He returns many years later to get revenge on Hindley
- A lot of novel focus's on his evil doing and acts of revenge.
- '... not a rough diamond... he's a fierce, pitiless, wolfish man'
- Can expect great cruelty from H towards Isabella.
- He's uncivilised and even love can't tame him
- 'Unreclaimed creature'
- He doesn't belong in, nor can be claimed by any social structure e.g. family.
- He marries Edgars sister Isabella to make E miserable
- Takes Edgar's son Hareton & his property to degrade him
- Can be perceived as a gift and threat.
Similar English Literature resources: