- Hazards in a Local Area: London
- Flood Risk
- 1953 Storm Surge: caused by major storm surge which concurred with natural high spring tide
- Capacity to Cope: Built on River Thames (flood plain), 1953 flood led to Thames barrier-> protects city/financial district (Canary Wharf)
- Flooding is likely to increase due to sea level rise
- Heatwave: C/S 2003 European heatwave
- Formed by high pressure, sinking air warms and compresses, wings moving clockwise trap warm air=stable and clear leading to hot weather in summer
- Temp reached 40 degrees in August.
- Old people & young children most vulnerable- 2139 deaths.
- 35,000 deaths in Europe (heat stroke, dehydration), droughts, low water levels.
- Snow- 2009
- Heavy snowfall due to cold winds from Russia meeting warm air from Atlantic Ocean-> water froze and created snow
- Temps dropped to -6 degrees.
- Capacity to Cope- 6,000 schools cloes, led to flooding, roads cloesd, railway swervices reduced, few deaths incl 16 year old girl & 6 year old boy
- Tornado- 2006
- 100mph twister lasted 10 seconds but damaged over 100 houses, people left homeless
- 6 people injured, damages estimated at £100 million
- Several hundred people displaced from homes until declared safe for occupants to return,
- Flood Risk
Similar Geography resources: