- Group 1 - The Alkali metals
- The group 1 metals are called alkali metals.They react readily with air and water.
- They are soft solids at room temp with low melting points that decrease as you go down the group. They have low densities.
- They react with water to produce hydrogen gas and a metal hydroxide that is an alkali.
- They all have onel electron in their outer shell. They loose this electron in reactions to from positive ions in which they have a single positive charge e.g Na+
- They react with halogens (group 7) to form salts
- Compounds of alkali metals dissolve in water.
- Going down group 1 the reactivity of the alkali metals increases.