- Gods and Religion
- Line 4, The opening scene begins with a procession priests, incense is being burned and wailing for the dead is heard. The first thing they turn to in times of need is the gods.
- Line 18, The priest says that men of all ages are clinging to the alters.
- Line 21,The people are praying to Zeus, Athena and Apollo.
- Line 81, Oedipus' first course of action is to send Creon to Delphi to Apollo the Prophet's oracle. Religion is a pivotal point of Greek society.
- Line 94, The priest knows that Creon has indeed visited the oracle as his is adorned with a laurel wreath; the sign of Apollo.
- Line 130, When king Laius was murdered he was on his way to consult an oracle.
Similar Classical Civilization resources: