- Globalisation and identity
- Sociologists disagree over whether globalisation is having a positive or negative impact on identity.
- If everyone experiences the same culture then ethnic identities will merge and become less distinct.
- Lemert and Elliot - globalisation makes identity more unstable which creates more variety
- You can try out cultures but dont have to commit them to your identity
- Globalisation imposes western culture on other societies and damages traditional cultural identity.
- Hall - ethnic minority groups react to globalisation by emphasising their cultural roots.
- Hall - globalisation means you dont have to construct your identity based in where you live, i.e. the internet, cheap travel
- Cultural supermarket