- Gay Mariage and Federalism
- 1996- DOMA said marriage between Man and Woman - Prevents same sex couple getting marital benefits e.g. tax breaks
- Edith Windsor Lived In New York (allows GM)- Wife dies and has to pay $363000 on wife estate. (Wouldn't if married to man) She challenged DOMA
- Justice Anthony Kennedy - Questions Legitimacy of Law and feels it intrudes on states rights.
- Justice Stephan Breyer- DOMA- Discriminates and Irrational
- Conservative Justice Antonin Scalia say if marriage is redefined gays will be able to adopt- not safe????
- Chief Justice John Roberts worried GM supporters moving too quickly
- Stats April 2013: 41- Forbid 7- Allowed 120k-GM 40K-Kids with same sex parents
Similar Government & Politics resources: