- Fixed term Parliaments
- This was the first decision, that had constitutional significance, made by the Coalition.
- Enacted through the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011.
- This tended to make the coalition more stable and enduring.
- It prevented the Tories and Lib Dems from seeking to exercise undue influence, by threatening to bring the govt down.
- However, this may deprise the govt of the day, the possibility to call an early election, to strengthen its postition.
Similar Government & Politics resources: