- Federalism under GWB
- Because he was a Republican - thought he'd continue move towards decentralisation(but didn't)
- Federal government expansion
- Spending grew by 33% during his first term (2001-2005)
- Federal budget as a share of the economy grew from 18.4% gdp in 2000 to 20.5% in 2008
- Why federal government expansion?
- War in Iraq
- Homeland security
- Expansions of medicare and education programmes
- Wall street & banking collapse of 2008
- Gay rights
- Republicans were not relaxed about leaving the issue of gay marriage to states & began to feel that a traditional view of marriage could be defended only by federal approach.
- States used flexibility to have abortions but set up ways to deter women - which would be approved of by social conservatives.
- Gonzales v Raich (2005)
- The ruling confirmed the constitutionality of a federal ban on the palliative use of marijuana & empowered the federal government to withhold federal finance from clinics defying the ban.
- Lawrence v Texas (2003)
- Overturned state ****** laws in favour of the 14th & 9th amendments
Similar Government & Politics resources: