- Explain why there was mass immigration 1890-1914
- 'Push factors'- Persecution e.g. Jews from Tsarist Russia
- USA had space that needed to be 'colonised'. There was room for people in western states.
- 'Push Factors' e.g. poverty in Southern Italy
- 'Pull Factors'- 'The American Dream'
- After 1819 there were developments in Technology, Rail-roads and Shipping
- Many immigrants already had relatives willing to help them on arrival.
- There were no restrictions e.g. Quota Act's and some state governments even favoured immigration.