- Evolution of democracy.
- Slow and lengthy process in the UK. Power was eventually handed from the monarch to parliament.
- Civil war abolished the monarchy for a period but it returned with limited powers.
- Parliament has controlled finances since 1688 however only 5% of the adult population could vote at this time.
- Secret ballots did not exist until the 1832 first reform act.
- The suffragists campaigned peacefully for the vote until 1914.
- Suffragettes campaigned under non peaceful methods and were arrested from 1909 onwards.
- In 1928 true universal suffrage for men and women over the age of 21 was achieved.
Similar Government & Politics resources: