- Small scale field work that tends to produce qualitative data
- Its valid because it can study behaviour in natural settings
- You can use various methods in ethnography. You can use unstructured interviews etc. and you can observe a community and see what they really get up to.
- Case studies are in-depth studies of particular events, like demonstrations.
- You can find out an individuals life history with interviews and observations
- It relies upon the reasearchers interpretationsof what people do and say
- It's difficult to make generalisations from small-scale research.