- Energy and Electricity P1.1
- There are 3 types of Energy: KINETIC - moving objects eg wind. POTENTIAL - "stored energy" GPE - "stored energy" eg top of a diving board. CHEMICAL - chemical substances eg wood, gas.
- There are 2 types of circuits: SERIES and PARALLEL - 2 components connected side by side.
- Key Words: 1. Unsustainable - supplies that will run out. 2. Biofuels - made from specially grown plants. 3.
- Fuels: 1. Gas or Coal = fuel. 2. Fossil fuel = fuel from a material long ago eg coal gas. 3. Heat energy = when the heat released spreads.
- Power supplies - electrical mains: -Battery=1.5V -Voltmeter = volts -Ammeter= ammps -Hazardous to open a battery-contains chemicals (poison) -As energy is used by a battery, the energy decreases -Electricity meter = J(Joules)
- - Turbine: long wings which spin when wind blows. - Generator: rotating shaft at the back of turbine. - Electrical energy: when the generator turns, electrical energy is made.
- Electricity to heat: - heaters get hot (heating effect) -Electrons - particles that carry energy.