- Endotherm is an organism that can use internal sources of heat, such as heat generated from metabolism in the liver, to maintain its body temperture
- Many Chemical reactions are EXOGENIC- this means they release energy in the form of heat
- They can usally increase their respiration rate in the liver simply to release heat
- Metabolism Rate can be alter to generate more of less heat
- Advantage 1) Ability to inhabit colder parts of the planet
- Advantage 2) A fairly constant body temperature regardless of the external temperature
- Advantage 3) ACTIVITY is still possible even when the temperature is cool e.g at Night or at winter.
- Disadvantage 1) More energy from food is used for keeping the body warm and less is used for growth.