- the process by which ionic substances are broken down into simpler substances using electricity. during electrolysis metals and gases may form at the electrodes.
- ionic substances contain charged particles called ions.
- lead bromine contains positively charged lead ions and negatively charged bromine ions.
- the process by which ionic substances are decomposed(broken down) into simpler substances wen electricity pases through them.
- for electrolysis to work the ions must be free to move. ions are free to move when an ionic substance is dissolved in water or melted. for example, if electricity is passed through molten lead bromide, the lead bromide is broken down to form lead and bromine.
- molten- reduced to liquid by heating.