- Effects of the Great Depression
- Unemployment - 13 million people were out of work.
- Industrial production dropped by 45 per cent between 1929 and 1932.
- House-building fell by 80 per cent between 1929 and 1932.
- The entire American banking system reached the brink of collapse.
- From 1929 to 1932, 5,000 banks went out of business.
- Although many people went hungry, the number of recorded deaths from starvation during the Depression was 110, although many other illnesses and deaths were probably related to a lack of nutrition.