- EEC Rebate
- Each memeber of the EU has to pay a subscription fee each year to the budget which is distributed between the members
- Why was Thatcher not happy?
- She felt Britain was contributing too much. Especially as they were only the third richest country in the EU.1980 britain paid 1.2 billion,germany 699 million and France 13 million
- She felt that it did not benefit Britain and alot of the money was going towards Germany and France.
- Felt the terms heath accepted were not goood.
- What did Thatcher do?
- Met at the European Summit and discussed getting the money back.
- At first the European Leaders did not want to listen to her but in the end Britain recieved 1.5 billion in rebate
- The public and right wing press were delighted
- Saved the British taxpayer millions over the next 10 years
- Thatcher became more popular.
- Her methods of negotiation was unlike that of other European leaders so this alienated her.
- She clashed with the foreign office
- Alot of people said she could of got what she wanted without making so many enemies
- She failed to get on with the new French and German leaders
Similar History resources: