- Edward Seymour (First Duke of Somerset)
- He was well connected. His sister Jane married Henry VIII
- His career flourished in his later years and was strengthened by the fact that he was uncle to the heir to the throne
- When Henry VIII dies he became Lord Protector and also the Duke of Somerset.
- His period in power was an unhappy time. His brother was killed for treason, the economy was in pieces, he was disliked by the pricy council and hs religious policy was unpopular.
- His decisions against rebellion in 1549 made him vulnerable and he was brought down by the coup d'état.
- He was brought back into government but executed for plotting against his successor, the Duke of Northumberland.