- Created by: Meg 123
- Created on: 14-05-19 18:05
- Dystopian Conventions
- Loss of freedom
- Fear as a method of control/threat of punishment e.g The Wall
- Power inbalances
- Small acts of rebellion
- Main character having very little power
- Abuse of power e.g The Commander/ Jezebel's
- Use of surviellence such as "The Eyes."
- Patriarchy/ Hierarchy of power consists of men/ men promoting men and oppressing women.
- Control of language e.g Biblical quotes/references being used to suggest fear
- Small source of hope such as Mayday and Moira
- Memories of the Past
- Semantic Shift: Words that once meant one thing now mean another
- Government lying to control population
- Stories about survival: "Literature of Witness."
- Society is strictly divided by intellect/ability/class/gender
- Protagonist or other central characters adopt some of the views of the dystopian society, possibly even unconciously.
Similar English Language & Literature resources: