- Durkheim: Cognitive functions of religion
- Religion is the source of our "cognitive capacities" (our ability to think and reason conceptually).
- In order to think, we need categories such as time and space.
- Religion provides the concepts and categories we need for understanding the world and communicating with others.
- Durkheim and Mauss: Religion provides basic categories such as time, space and causation.
- For example: With ideas of a creator at the beginning of time.
- Religion is the origin of human thought, science and reason.