- Created by: saara hanso
- Created on: 01-03-18 11:06
- Hence it came about that I
concealed my pleasures; and that when I reached years of reflection, and began
to look round me and take stock of my progress and position in the world, I
stood already committed to a profound duplicity of me
- Dr Jekyll explains that he repressed his sinful side in public to give the appearance of being respectable.
- Jekyll was no worse; he
woke again to his good qualities seemingly unimpaired; he would even make
haste, where it was possible, to undo the evil done by Hyde
- Jekyll describes himself and Hyde as separate people, he does not accept the blame for Hyde's atrocious actions.
- Jekyll new he was taking a risk when experimenting with himself, however his desire for discovery overtook any of his worries
- But the temptation of a discovery so singular and profound at last overcame the suggestions of alarm
- The most racking pangs succeeded: a grinding in the bones, deadly nausea, and a horror of the spirit that cannot be exceeded at the hour of birth or death