- Dissolution of the larger Monasteries
- The failure of POG, Henry believed there would be no opposition (fear of execution)
- The Truce of Nice between France and Charles V meant Henry needed to fund defences on the south coast.
- Needed to secure the Royal Supremacy meant Cromwell wanted to remove abbots from the House of Lords.
- Wealth of the monasteries would bring the financial independence needed to attack France without taxation from Parliament.
- Many abbots were willing to cede the monasteries to the king in return of a large pension.
- If they refused they were subjected to imprisonmentand death