- Created by: KatRushtonCollier
- Created on: 14-05-18 21:47
- Discovery and Development of Drugs (22.214.171.124)
- Describe how: most new drugs are synthesised by chemists in the pharmaceutical industry, but that the starting point may still be a chemical extracted from a plant.
- Describe how: traditionally drugs were extracted from plants and microorganisms for example:
- If the drug is found to be safe after initial trials, further clinical trials are carried out to find the optimum dose for the drug.
- Describe how: preclinical testing is done in a laboratory using cells, tissues and live animals.
- New drugs have to be extensively tested for toxicity, efficacy, and dose
- In double blind trials, some patients are given a placebo.