- Derek Bentley controversy
- Had the mental age of 10, and easily coerced.
- Public and Parliamentary opinion
- Huge public outcry against the sentence. Motion to support him by 200 mps but never debated. Chose not to reprieve Bentley
- Case received a lot of media coverage mostly sympathetic to Bentley. His family continued to campaign after his death. Pardoned in 1993 and in 1998 conviction for murder was overturned
- Highlighted vast difference in beliefs of punishment for severe crimes
- Revealed how reprieval of murderers was a lottery.
- Increased criticism of death penalty