- Created by: zachary hyams
- Created on: 24-12-19 14:34
- Defying Gravity: Texture
- The opening shows a sparse texture with punctuating instrumental chord stabs (e.g. bar 1) with some monophonic unaccompanied bars (e.g. bar 3).
- In the verses there is a melody and accompaniment or melody-dominated homophony texture where the singer is accompanied by chords in the orchestra.
- There are homophonic chordal moments (e.g. bar 132).
- Ostinato accompaniment at bar 88 with repeated semiquavers
- Elphaba and Glinda usually sing separately but sometimes sing together in unison (e.g. bar 101) or in harmony such as thirds (e.g. bar 127).
- The ending is contrapuntal with three different musical ideas with different lyrics (e.g. bar 168).