- Dangers of radiation
- Radioactive materials are hazardous.
- It can deposite large amounts of energy in the body and cause damage to DNA
- The risk associated with radioactive materials depends on the amount of exposure.
- Being exposed to highly radioactive materials or being exposed to radioactive materials for long periods of time or on a regular basis, increases the dose received which, in turn, increases the risk.
- Given that radioactive materials are hazardous, certain precautions can be taken to reduce the risk of using radioactive sources. These include:
- wear protective clothing to prevent the body becoming contaminated should radioactive isotopes leak out
- avoid contact with bare skin and not attempt to taste the sources
- limit exposure time - so less time is spent around radioactive materials