- Cracking Crude Oil
- Long chain hydrocarbons (tar) are not useful.
- They can be turned into smaller more useful ones by cracking
- Useful products include petrol for cars and paraffin for jets and Ethene
- Cracking is a thermal decomposition reaction
- Most products of cracking are alkanes and unsaturated hydrocarbons called alkenes
- 1) you heat the long chain to vaporise it
- 2) the vapour is passed over a powdered catalyst
- 3) aluminuim oxide is the catalyst used
- 4) the long chain molecules split apart or "crack"
Similar Science resources: