- Created by: kim.sisneros
- Created on: 08-06-15 15:37
- Costs, Revenues and Profit
- what firms must invest in to run their business
- Fixed - costs that do not vary with output (e.g. rent)
- Variable - costs that vary directly with output (e.g. raw materials)
- Average costs = total costs/output
- Total costs = fixed costs + variable costs
- A businesses costs are aimed to be as low as possible to ensure that they have an achievable amount of profit.
- Total revenue - price x quantity sold
- The amount a firm receives from selling its products
- Total revenue = total revenue/output
- It is important for a business to gain as much revenue as possible to make the highest possible profit.
- If the business doesn't make enough revenue, there could be higher costs resulting in a loss.
- Profit = total revenue - total costs
- The money left over after costs are paid
- Especially for new businesses, profit is mainly used to improve the efficiency and quality of the service or products sold. Also, profit is put towards the growth of the business.
Similar Economics resources: