- **** the Lock Context
- Published in 1712 in 2 cantos and then enlarged to 5 cantos in 1714.
- The poem is about the quarrel of two welathy families.
- in 1711 a young nobleman called Lord Petre, cut off a lock of hair from on of the most celebrated young women in London society, Arabella Fermor.
- The Fermor family took the matter so seriously it became embarrassing to others.
- The two families were Catholic, in a protestant country.
- Pope's friend, John Caryll, asked Pope (Catholics) to try and defuse the situation by making them realise how ridiculous it was to destroy a relationship over a lock.
- The poem created a mock-herioc framework of the event and elevated the quarral laughing both families together.
Similar English Literature resources: