- Comprehensivisation (1965)
- Set out to restore equality
- The 11+ was abolished and a child's schooling depended upon their 'catchment area'.
- Aimed to ensure all students got a 'parity of esteem' and equality within education
- However lower class catchment areas usually have lower ability schools and unlike middle class children they cannot afford transport to better schools
- Setting and Streaing
- Setting is based on ability in separate subjects whereas streaming is based on mixed ability, based on maths, English and science
- Could create a self fulfilling prophecy if put in lower sets and streams