- Created by: rosannaaa
- Created on: 25-04-18 13:59
- Comparison of Approaches: Reductionism
- Refers to the belief that human behaviour can be most effectively explained by breaking into points. Opposing view - holism.
- Reductionist is the biological approach in the way that it explains human behaviour and psychological states at the level of the gene or neuron.
- Cognitive approach - accused of machine reductionism, presents people as info processing systems and ignoring the influence of emotion on behaviour.
- Humanistic - formulates holistic app to understanding human behaviour. Involves investigating all aspects of the individual, including effects of interaction with others and society.
- Psycho Dynamic - reduces much of our behaviour to the influence of sexual drives and biological instincts, although Freud's argument that personality is a dynamic interaction between the 3 parts of the personality is viewed as holistic.
- SLTheorists reduce complex learning to a handful of key processes though they do at least place emphasis on cog factors that mediate learning and how these interact with external influences.