- Created by: lucy Jones
- Created on: 24-12-12 18:36
- The maintenance of a stable internal environment.
- Negative feedback
- A mechanism by which a change in a parameter is detected and brings about a response that moves the parameter back to the norm.
- Positive feedback
- A mechanism by which a change in a parameter is detected and brings about a response that moves the parameter further away from the norm.
- High temperature
- Smooth muscle in arterioles supplying blood to the skin dilate. Sweat glands secrete more sweat, as it evaporates it absorbs the heat from the skin.
- Low temperature
- Shivering requires energy, so as we shiver we respire providing heat. Smooth muscle in arterioles near to skin contracts stopping heat loss to the surroundings. Erector muscles pull up hairs trapping heat.
Similar Biology resources: