- Christian Arguments against capital punishment
- Jesus teaches forgiveness not retribution. ‘If any of you is without sin, let him cast the first stone.’ Matthew 8:7
- St Paul teaches against retribution. ‘Do not repay evil for evil… do not take revenge. For it is written ‘vengeance is mine says the Lord’.’ Romans 12:17-19
- Christians believe life is sacred and only God has the right to take life.
- Jesus came to save (reform) people, you cannot reform an executed man.
- Jesus overturned ‘an eye for an eye’ with commands for forgiveness.