- Created by: rebeccahankinson
- Created on: 24-03-15 15:49
- Case Study- Geopolitics with the USA: The Colorado River
- The basin of the colorado river is the most heavily used source of irrigation water in the USA.
- Original water rights were allocated in 1933.
- Since then a series of treaties between the 7 US Stated with water rights and between Mexico have been signed.
- A series of dams has been built to serve the water needs to 30 million people
- 1920s 'Law of the River'= divided the water between upper basin states or Coloardo, Wyoming, Utah and New Mexico and their responsibility to supply the lower basin states
- California was given highest proportion of water due to its large population and political power. (Around this time was a period of higher rainfall and water surpluses
Similar Geography resources: