- Carboxylic acids
- Hydrogen bonds are formed in water between the water and the acids. Carboxylic acids with up to 4 carbon atoms will mix with water.
- Boiling point
- Have a higher boiling point than alcohols or alkanes due to hydrogen bonding. Produces a dimer
- They are weak acids that partially dissociate in water into a carboxylate ion and hydrogen ion.
- Carboxylic acids react with a carbonate ion and hydrogen carbonate ion to form a salt, water and carbon dioxide.
- Produced by reacting a primary alcohol with [O] winder harsh conditions.