- Caravaggio 1571-1610
- Painted what he knew; the here and now, which is why he based his figures on models of the streets
- First noticed by Cardinal Francesco Del Monte, a respected civil servant who used power and influence to secure the position of decorating the Contarelli Chapel
- Marchese Vincenzo Giustiniani an aristocratic banker/ collector knew the cardinal and purchased St Matthew and the Angel
- Of the poor lower classes, sharing cheap rooms with other painters, drinking and living on credit
- Associated with street brawls, lived by the motto 'without hope, without fear.'
- Wild personality, always searching for creative/ sensation rousing stimuli
- Had a love of rebellion, reflected in his un-conventional works