- The Finches' (Jem, Scout and Atticus) black cook
- Does not know her age. Lives on the edge of town in the blakk community.
- Her children are all grown up.
- Atticus sees her as part of the familt - been with them since Jem's birth
- Firm but kind - made Scout her faveourite bread on her first day of school
- Well educated for a black person of those times - only four people in her church are able to read. Taught Scout how to write
- Atticus depends on her to look after the children and other things. Refuses to fire her when Aunt Alexandria goes to stay