- blood vessels
- carry blood away from the heart to the organs.
- carries bright red oxygenated blood.
- arteries stretch as blood travels through them, they return to shape after. This is felt as a pulse.
- have thick walls containing muscle and elastic fibres.
- contain blood under high pressure.
- carry blood from the organs to the heart.
- carry purple blue deoxygenated blood.
- thin walls, have valves to prevent the backflow of blood.
- contain blood under low pressure.
- valves close if the blood is flowing backwards. It squeezes it back towards the heart using the skeletal muscles.
- run between individual cells and form a network of tiny vessels linking the arteries and veins.
- narrow with thin walls. This enables substances to diffuse in and out of cells easily.
- found in the muscles and lungs.
- low blood pressure
Similar Biology resources: