Biological treatments for OCD

  • Created by: Georgia
  • Created on: 06-05-19 23:55
View mindmap
  • Biological treatments for OCD (drug therapy)
    • Aims to increase amount of serotonin activity in the brain
      • SSRIs block reabsorption of serotonin; increase level of serotonin in post-synaptic nerve; reduce OCD symptoms
    • If SSRIs are ineffective after 3-4 weeks, dosage is increased or combined w/ other drugs
      • Can build up a tolerance to the drugs so they no longer work
    • Strengths
      • Julien (2005) 70% improvement in symptoms, remaining 30% had alternative treatments
      • Less disruptive in patient's life
      • Quicker and easier (more cost-effective for the economy)
      • Higher completion rates than other therapies
    • Weaknesses
      • Side effects could result in high attrition rates and higher risk of relapse
        • e..g dry mouth; fast heartbeat; constipation; trouble sleeping
      • Can take up to 3-4 months before benefits are seen
      • Only cure symptoms and not the actual disorder

Comments

No comments have yet been made

Similar Psychology resources:

See all Psychology resources »See all Obsessive compulsive disorders resources »