Becoming an educational psychologist

View mindmap
  • Becoming an educational psychologist
    • An educational psychologist could work in the UK for: The local authority responsible for state schools in the area, An independent (fee-paying) school or Themselves - self employed
      • Alternatively, they could work abroad, for example - as a school psychologist in Australia or the USA.
    • Communication is the main skill required. You need to be able to listen carefully and also speak with people comfortably.
      • The Ed Psych training covers communication skills such as empathic listening. (a way of listening to another person so that there is a real understanding. It also involves responding in a way that shows that you have listened.
    • Training would also include role play to practise communication skills. You have to be able to talk to a range of different people too because you communicate with children from a very young age right up to shy 17-year-olds & also parents, teachers and other professionals.
    • First, you need a degree in Psychology - one that is recognised by the British Psychological Society (BPS), which most psychology degrees are.
      • You need some experience that involves education, though you don't need to teach e.g. previously trained as a teacher.
        • Then you have to do a three-year doctorate in educational psychology .
    • If an Ed Psych is a chartered psychologist they have to prove their Continuing Professional Development (CPD) in the course of their work.
      • 'Chartered' means you have satisfied the requirements of the BPS and have sufficient qualifications and experience to be called a psychologist.


No comments have yet been made

Similar Psychology resources:

See all Psychology resources »See all Aggression resources »