- Created by: TaliaStillwood
- Created on: 14-03-18 19:57
- B1.7- Osmosis
- Water may move across cell membranes via osmosis. Osmosis is the diffusion of water from a dilute solution to a concentrated solution through a partially permeable membrane.
- If the concentration of solutes on the solution outside the cell is the same as the internal concentration,the solution is isotonic.
- If the concentration of the solutes in the solution outside the cell is higher than the internal concentrations, the solution is hypertonic.
- If the concentration of solutes in the solution outside the cell is lower than the internal concentration,the solution is hypotonic.
- A dilute solution of sugar contains a high concentration of water, and a low concentration of sugar.
- A concentrated sugar solution contains a relatively low concentration of water and a high concentration of sugar.
- Membranes that only allow some types of particles through are partially permeable.
Similar Biology resources: