- Father of Jem and Scout
- Atticus Finch
- Wife died when Scout was two - bringing up Scout and Jem on his own, with help from Calpurnia
- Lawyer - Takes on Tom Robinson's case knowing he will lose - hopes to show rest of town that racism is wrong? Believes in racial equality
- Kind and Caring - Paid for brother's medical training, saved Miss Maudie's fave. rocking chair when her house burnt down
- Tries to teach Jem and Scout life lessons.
- Sees the best in people - Mrs Dubose being rude to him, maintains politeness
- Only person that can control him is his sister, 'Aunt Alexandria'