- 'Attack' Siegfried Sassoon
- This short sixteen-line poem has a very simple structure: lines metered in iambic tetrameter, and four grouped “quatrains” of alternating rhymes
- The speaker, an Irish airman fighting in World War I, declares that he knows he will die fighting among the clouds. He says that he does not hate those he fights, nor love those he guards.
- The poem is a soliloquy given by an aviator in the First World War in which the narrator describes the circumstances surrounding his imminent death.
- The poem is a work that discusses the role of Irish soldiers fighting for the United Kingdom during a time when they were trying to establish independence for Ireland
- Language / Diction
Similar English Literature resources: