- Antiseptic to aseptic surgery
- Antiseptic is when you kill germs. Aseptic surgery is when you kill germs in the first place to prevent infection to create a sterile environment
- carbolic acid was one of the earliest used antiseptics.
- however it was disliked by surgeons and patients alike as it burned their skin and the spray irritated their lungs.
- Robert Koch developed a steam sterilizer in 1878 which killed germs and infection.
- developments in aseptic surgery included gloves, masks caps, and operating gowns.